Sunday, April 27, 2014

Globe Galaxy S3 Problems After Android 4.3 Update

Advertisements


It was in October 2013 that the Android 4.3 update for the Samsung Galaxy S3 was rolled out in the Philippines. Globe, one of the largest carriers in the Philippines was actually quick to push the update over the air (OTA). While the roll out was good news to millions of Filipino owners, it came as a disappointment to several thousand users as it brought problems...many problems. Here are some of them...

1. Globe Galaxy S3 messaging has stopped

Problem: I just update my Samsung Galaxy S3 carried by Globe Telecom in the Philippines and after I successfully installed it, the error message that says "Unfortunately, Messaging has stopped." How do I fix this problem or error? Thanks.

Solution: I'm not sure if this problem is caused by a third-party app (specifically messaging app) so let's try to rule out that problem first. Try booting to Safe Mode. If the error message doesn't pop up while in that state, you may have installed a third-party messaging app that's causing this problem. Uninstall that app and boot to normal mode, I'm sure this problem is already fixed.

However, if the error message still pops up even in Safe Mode, clear both the cache and data of the Messaging app.

2. Gallery longer to load

Problem: Hi, my problem is that the Gallery app in my phone, Globe Galaxy S3, takes very long to load. I noticed this problem after I updated my phone to Android 4.3. Do you have a solution for this problem?

Solution:
I don't know what cloud services you're using but just for the sake of knowing what the problem really is, unsync them. After that, clear the cache and data of the Gallery app. Don't worry, you photos and videos will not be deleted, just the thumbnails. If this is a simple Gallery problem, this procedure will resolve this issue, however, if the problem persists, boot to Recovery Mode and wipe cache partition. If that doesn't solve it either, backup your data and perform factory reset.

3. Insufficient storage space error

Problem: Hello, after I updated my phone to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, I keep getting the error message "App could be updated due to insufficient storage space." How do I fix this problem? By the way, my phone is Samsung Galaxy S3 from Globe.

Solution: Please do a little housekeeping and delete old files. Better yet, backup everything that is in your phone's storage to your computer and delete them from your phone. You're running Android 4.3 now, you should be able to move apps to your microSD card so please do that. If you're an avid gamer, try to delete data of games you don't play with anymore or uninstall them. This problem isn't an issue with the phone but your file management.

4. Globe Galaxy S3 doesn't boot after update

Problem: Hi, please help me with my problem because I can no longer use my phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 from Globe and after I said yes to the update notification, my phone just won't boot. All I can see is the Samsung logo. My husband said to wait it up so I did and it's 9 hours now and it's still showing the Samsung logo. What should I do? Please help. Thanks. -- Maricar

Solution: Ma'am Maricar, this is a common issue with the Samsung Galaxy S3 but good thing it is common because there are workarounds. One way to solve this issue is to wipe the cache partition. Just follow the steps below and you'll be fine:
  1. While the phone is on, pop the back panel open and remove the battery for a minute.
  2. Place the battery back.
  3. Press and hold the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons.
  4. When the phone vibrates, release the Power button but continue holding the other two until Android System Recovery screen appears.
  5. Use the Volume Down button to highlight 'wipe cache partition' and press the Power button to select it.
  6. Once the wiping of cache partition is done, highlight 'reboot system now' and press the Power button to reboot the phone.

5. Globe Galaxy S3 turns screen off while in a call

Problem: Hello, I am an old lady and I'm new to smartphones. Well, my daughter gave me a Samsung Galaxy S3 under contract with Globe. My grand son said he updated it recently but there's one thing that seems to annoy me; the screen turns off when I'm on a call. I know because I always use headsets. Before the update, I was able to take calls with the screen turned on the entire time. So, can you help me with this, please.

Solution: Hi, I think it's just a messed up setting that causes this problem. Please follow the steps below to fix this problem:
  1. From the Home screen, tap the Apps icon.
  2. Tap the Phone application.
  3. Tap the Menu key, and the select Call Settings.
  4. Tap or uncheck the 'Auto screen off during calls.'
  5. Your phone's screen will stay on during calls from now on.
I hope this helps.

If you seek help for  your phone, you may email your concerns via harold@siatondaily.com.